You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any such content, nor may you distribute any part of this content over any network, including a local area network, sell or offer it for sale. You may not alter or remove any copyright, watermarks, or other notice from copies of the content on this blog. Copying or storing any content is expressly prohibited without prior written permission of the blog owner. For permission to use the content on this blog, please contact email@example.com.
Wednesday 8 November 2023
Tuesday 7 November 2023
Our penultimate day in Kuching, and we spent the afternoon indoors as I worked on our footage before taking an hour's nap.
We left Adelyn's Airbnb at seven in the evening. Brendan left earlier to meet up with his varsity debate club buddies at a smoke house in Tabuan Jaya.
We hailed a Grab car for a fare of RM7.00 (approximately USD/EUR2) to the Open Air Market food stalls near the river front and ordered these delicious local delicacies:
- Three (3) Chwee Kueh or Steamed Rice Cakes for RM1.00 each
- Three (3) Sio Bee or Minced Pork Parcels for RM1.00 each
- Two (2) bowls of Lai Ci Kang or Sweet Lotus Seed Soup for RM4.00 each
- Two (2) bowls of Red Kolo Mee for RM6.00 each
- a cup of Gula Apong Ice Cream for RM3.50
Our very simple hawker food stall dinner came to RM29.50 (approximately USD/EUR6).
We then walked to the waterfront and made our way across Darul Hana Bridge while taking photos of the wonderfully illuminated surroundings. We got to the end of the bridge then doubled back in time to capture footage of the Darul Hana Musical Fountain.
Be sure to catch our next videos on the walk across the Darul Hana Bridge as well as the Daru Hana Musical Fountain!
We continued our stroll along the river front before hailing another Grab car, again for a fare of RM7.00 (approximately USD/EUR2) back to Adelyn's Airbnb.
It was a fitting end to our last night in Kuching, for tomorrow we're leaving on a jet plane 😔
The CountryMan, Terrace House - https://goo.gl/maps/ASdsS7d7Qqo718vs8
Tower Market - https://maps.app.goo.gl/zR7BY4yYcvbyzQ7T9
Kuching Waterfront - https://maps.app.goo.gl/HrKxhXQvGL8a1R6L7
Darul Hana Bridge - https://maps.app.goo.gl/cJxJ4PhvpoUQRoHa9
Darul Hana Musical Fountain - https://maps.app.goo.gl/P4SvQpM7YDzcwBkVA
- a plate of Pork in Lemongrass Soy Sauce for RM12
- a bowl of Mixed Pork Soup for RM12
- a plate of Crispy Pork for RM12
- a round of drinks RM7.90
Monday 6 November 2023
Sunday 5 November 2023
- Brendan's single room as well as our double room cost RM163.40 (approximately USD36/EUR36)
- additionally a deposit of RM50.00 (approximately USD11/EUR10) was required for each room.
- Nasi Lemak with Fried Chicken
- Nasi Lemak with Squid Sambal
- Chicken Chop
- and a variety of drinks
Saturday 4 November 2023
- replacing Brendan's tattered mobile phone screen protector
- a visit to a local pharmacy for antiseptic wash
- sanitising spray as well as bottles of drinking water from HSL Supermarket
- and finally taking away three packets of rice with spiced chicken for RM9.00 each (approximately USD/EUR2)
Sunday 15 October 2023
- 2 servings of banana leaf rice for RM29.80
- Chicken Varuval for RM9.90
- 2 glasses of Masala Tea for RM7.00
- 1 Iced Tea for RM3.00
- 1 Iced Lemon Tea for RM4.50
As was the case last year, we will be spending this Christmas in Penang again. Our favourite way to travel is by bus, and our favourite bus service to Penang is Aeroline.
We made our way to Corus Hotel and bought our bus tickets, but not without several surprising twists to the tale! For those intending to travel with Aeroline to Penang here are some things that we learnt:
- A one-way ticket that would normally cost RM60.00 (approximately USD13/EUR12) has been increased to RM65.00 (approximately USD14/EUR13)
- If you plan travel on a Friday through Sunday the price is then RM72.00 one-way (approximately USD15/EUR14)
- Please use cash when paying at the counter to avoid an additional 3% admin charge
- Debit cards are not accepted for some reason
- Large sized baggage are no longer free; a fee will be imposed
Truth be told the above 'inconveniences' has given us pause to consider alternative means. A very tempting alternative would be the ETS, since the *Platinum from Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur is very similarly priced at RM73.00 (approximately USD15/EUR14).
*Electric Train Service (ETS) Platinum Class Trains are the quickest of all the ETS Services as they stop at only the main stations along the line and so are the quickest way to get from A to B on long distance trains. They also tend to operate at the most popular times of the day to travel.
It is a shame that Aeroline has decided to price themselves out of the game.
In the meantime, Brendan will be attending his graduation ceremony at UNIMAS early next month which is when we should be posting our next video, so please stay tuned!
Saturday 30 September 2023
I had been neglecting my guitars for quite a while now. They were my constant companion during the lockdowns and I haven't been able to pay them much attention lately.
I keep a repository of old (and not so old) videos over the years at my other channel, @fatboyblimp.
I'm just an average guitar enthusiast trying his best to keep playing despite the onset of stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger fingers) and arthritis 😭😢😪.
I'm keeping a log of videos at my other channel so that I can watch it back one day when I no longer have the ability to play the guitar.
Havironia Music - https://goo.gl/maps/swtNfVmjFK4FgRsf8